Created by the Texas Legislature in 1965 to ensure quality and efficiency in public higher education, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) works closely with the states higher education institutions, public education entities, businesses, community groups, and others to achieve the goals of the states higher education plan, Closing the Gaps by 2015.
Job Number: 2012-00100
Division: Planning & Accountability
Open Date: April 27, 2012
Office: Academic Planning and Policy
Salary: $4,443.00 - $4,896.00 per month
Performs technical and analytical policy research work for higher education. Work involves providing professional expertise, technical assistance, and support for research, data collection and analysis, and special projects. Reports to the Director of Planning. Work is performed under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes higher education data using SAS software to facilitate better understanding of higher education issues.
- Performs technical and analytical tasks with particular emphasis on the interpretation, aggregation, and evaluation of a variety of statistical and qualitative data.
- Prepares and reviews technical and policy reports.
- Analyzes postsecondary institutional report data.
- Interprets data and information received and provides cogent explanation to internal and external constituencies.
- Writes programs for data analysis and compiles data for review.
- Utilizes server and PC-based software to access data for analysis; communicates research findings to constituents through written reports.
- Analyzes proposed state legislation related to public and/or higher education.
- Assists in writing policy briefs.
- Assists Director with special projects including agency planning activities and related reports.
- Verifies data and computations, and proofreads draft reports and documents.
- Must be able to travel approximately 5% of time.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited senior college or university.
- Fouryears of work experience in compiling, analyzing and interpreting statistical data.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of statistical programming techniques.
- Familiarity with higher education issues and policies.
- Ability to take charge of projects and to carry projects to completion with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge of statistical methods and SAS.
- Skilled and proficient with a PC using statistical software, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to travel approximately 5% of time.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; ability to effectively communicate to a wide range of individuals and groups.
- Skill in analytical thinking, interpersonal and leadership skills, and professional writing.
- Knowledgeable of customer service deliverables
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments.
- Ability to attend work regularly and reliably.
- Ability to meet periodic milestones and final deadlines.
- Ability to adhere to the organization’s internal management policies and procedures.
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in educational administration, public affairs, statistics, planning, or related field.
- Work experience with higher education data and policy issues.
- Experience working with large data sets.
- Proficiency in SAS software.
Job offer and continuation of employment with THECB is contingent upon
- Proof of educational credentials that satisfies the minimum requirements of the position.
- Eligibility/authorization to work in the U.S.
- Satisfactory results from Criminal History Background Check.
If applicable, compliance with the Selective Service Law for males ages 18-25. Please be advised that under Texas law, names and other information concerning applicants or nominees may be subject to disclosure upon request.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions:
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequently works under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Employment Application is required. Apply on line at the Coordinating Board’s employment opportunities website. Go to: www.thecb.state.tx.usand select “Employment” at the bottom of the web page. For questions please call the HR Department at 512-427-6190. For vocal and/or hearing assistance call 7-1-1, (512) 427-6190.