Sandia National Laboratories is searching for a Researcher for the Computer Sciences and Information Systems Department for the Livermore, CA facility.
Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Security Clearance.
The Computer Sciences and Information Systems Center is the home of computer science and information systems work and capabilities at Sandia's California site. We have capabilities that span across multiple computer science and information systems disciplines. Our activities include computational science and mathematics research, high performance computing, visualization systems research and development, problem solving environments, information security research and operations, and network operations.
Applies integrated technical judgment--which requires using the scientific method to recognize and formulate problems, to collect data through observation and experimentation, and to formulate and test hypotheses--to anticipate, innovate, and deliver solutions to Sandia National Laboratories missions. Roots the work in the fundamentals of science and engineering while applying a deep understanding of engineering and scientific principles. Creates and applies scientific theories and laws and engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems. Uses physical and computational simulation, analysis, and evaluation as inherent activities of development. Plans, conducts, and manages Sandia's scientific programs from fundamental research through development and demonstration.
Participates in the development and application of computational capabilities to solve problems in science and engineering. Applies methods and techniques that merge disciplines in science and engineering with computer science. Includes the research, development, deployment and in-depth technical support of general scientific and engineering application software and related tools.
Primary Job Duties
- We have a full-time opening in the areas of computer science or related fields for researchers who are experts in formal methods. This opening is for a researcher at the junior or senior level who can demonstrate the necessary technical knowledge and skill base to build a successful research program, with a proven record of excellence, in formal methods and automated verification of hardware and software.
- Plan, conceive, conduct, or manage research and development for Sandia's customers and sponsors.
- Direct systematic studies toward a fuller knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts, and discovers new approaches to achieve goals.
- Create new understandings and capabilities by using the scientific method's hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods.
- Initiate, design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
- Use engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions.
- Undertake development and possible technology transfer of solutions, products, principles or technology.
- Undertake creative work, making systematic use of investigation or experimentation, to discover or revise knowledge of reality, and uses this knowledge to devise new applications.
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in computer science or a related area.
- Strong record of academic performance.
- Evidence of relevant and exceptional achievements in formal methods research, as demonstrated in the form of technical publications, presentations, software verification tools, and/or knowledge of applications.
- Ability to work in a collaborative research environment on problems in a variety of domains.
- Proficiency in solving problems, prioritizing work, and making decisions; and (6) excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: model checking, logical inference and automated theorem proving, equivalence checking, symbolic execution, discrete-event simulation, and specification languages.
- Proficiency with high-performance computing platforms.
- Background in solving practical problems in science and engineering that involve encounters with real-world data.
- For senior level candidates, additional qualifications include: familiarity with the processes for obtaining and managing research funding, including building project teams, writing grants and progress reports, and working with sponsors; and evidence of professional service to the community, such as service on program committees, workshop organization, and/or editorial work.
Please apply online at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.h tml, click Advanced Search and reference Job Opening ID Number: 641121.
U.S. Citizenship Normally Required. Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.