CREATE-NET (Center for Research And Telecommunication Experimentation for NETworked communities) is seeking a Research Engineer in the area of Smart Energy Systems. Ideal candidates should have a background in ICT (Information & Communication Technologies) plus a good understanding and, if possible, relevant experience in the Energy sector, or vice versa. International experience is considered as an asset. Likewise, the knowledge (or the willingness to learn) the Italian language is a plus.
Job responsibilities include:
• Conducting research/development activities in the field of Smart Energy Systems, with focus on Smart Grids;
• Technical contributions to relevant project initiatives (e.g. CRISALIDE programme);
• Support to fund-raising activities (e.g. FP7 projects development);
• Collaboration with international partners (e.g. SIEMENS) in the context of the EIT ICT Labs initiative (http://eit.ictlabs.eu/);
• Interaction with local partners (e.g. research organizations/SMEs) and the Autonomous Province of Trento.
Successful candidates should have a very good understanding of the technical challenges associated with the emergent area of Smart Energy, plus the ability to translate them into ICT requirements/solutions. The current scope of activities at CREATE-NET includes the following topics:
• Smart Grids (e.g. Virtual Power Plants)
• Micro co-generation (e.g. CHP)
• Energy-efficient buildings
• ICT for Energy Efficiency
• ‘Green’ ICT
The following requirements should be satisfied for the position under consideration:
- Educational background –at least at the M.Sc. level or equivalent– in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications, Computer Science or, alternatively, in the Energy sector;
- Strong academic record (experience and publications), being curious, creative and ambitious;
- Experience in the design/implementation of IT architectures for distributed monitoring/control (e.g. SCADA);
- Capability to develop system and interface specifications for Smart Grids systems;
Relevant experience in the energy and utilities industries (electric power) would be desirable.
The following organizational skills are requested for this position:
- Autonomous thinking and problem solving skills;
- Good communication skills (both oral/written);
- Record of successful working relationships with internal/external collaborators and funding institutions, and aptitude for building collaborations and partnerships;
- Prioritization, time management skills and capability to adapt to dynamic environments.
Languages Excellent command of the English language is essential; good knowledge of the Italian language is considered as a plus.
Full/Part Time Fulltime
Salary This position offers a competitive remuneration, with salary and rank contingent upon qualifications and professional accomplishments.