Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov. We are searching for a Limited Term Technologist for the Biomass Science and Conversion Technology Department at the Livermore facility. Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Security Clearance.
An opportunity is available for a scientist to support on-going research and development efforts. The successful candidate will be involved in cell culture, compound extraction and all aspects of analysis by HPLC, GC, GC/MS, LC/MS, and other methods. In addition to routine sample processing, responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, maintaining analytical instruments and their operation, method development for cell culture optimization, analyses, and critical interpretation of data.
The successful candidate will have the ability, desire, and motivation to integrate their skill set into a dynamic R&D organization that includes pioneering metabolic engineering of microalgae, pilot-scale and large-scale microalgal cultivation, hydrocarbon extraction, chemical transformation of biofuels and feedstocks, and delivery of biofuel material to partners.
- Analysis samples by HPLC, GC, GC/MS, LC/MS and other methods.
- Cell culture, media optimization, lysate preparation, and culturing of recombinant organisms in a BSL-1 environment.
- Routine sample processing for required analytical methods.
- Maintenance of analytical instruments.
- Critical interpretation of analytical data.
- Maintain an accurate notebook, and write SOP's and reports as needed.
- Additional experience with instrument control software (e.g., Varian WorkStation) is a plus.
Primary Job Duties
Conducts chemical, biological, or physical experiments to assist scientists and engineers in the performance of RD&E, and performs qualitative and quantitative analyses for work involving experimental, theoretical, or practical applications of science or technology.
Develops new experimental processes, utilizes novel analytical techniques, establishes new characterization methods, optimizes existing laboratory and characterization techniques, and performs experiments.
Develops, builds, modifies, repairs, or maintains a wide variety of laboratory apparatus and equipment, and interfaces this equipment for data acquisition.
Develops and maintains material and process specifications to support engineering and scientific processes and works with key suppliers.
Performs data analysis and interpretation, statistical error analysis, materials characterization, and information extraction, and formally documents results for the customer.
Supports documentation and publication efforts, including the preparation of information for scientific and engineering publications.
Performs work in a safe and compliant manner, seeks out subject matter expert advice as needed, and maintains the necessary documentation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Requires an understanding of the scientific method and experimental procedures.
- Skill and knowledge in one or more areas of physics, chemistry, computer science, materials science, lasers, optics, engineering, radiation, microelectronics, semiconductors, or biology.
- Ability to apply analytical and computer skills.
- Ability to interface equipment to data acquisition systems.
- Knowledge of utilization of instrumentation to measure and observe physical phenomena and effects.
- Ability to develop expert knowledge of laboratory equipment and processes to enable making adjustments when necessary and to recognize when equipment malfunctions.
- Ability to conceptualize and communicate major elements of experimental design and results and to represent to other staff, management, and visitors, the scientific and engineering principles being investigated or developed.
- Experience and demonstrated skill in conducting research, investigating anomalies and alternative solutions, and recommending solutions on problems.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance, as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to write operating procedures, methods of analysis, and laboratory procedures.
- Two years hands-on experience with a firm theoretical understanding of the operational principles of gas chromatography techniques.
- Experience with hydrocarbon and amino acids analysis by GC is essential.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills and the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary environment are essential.
- Proficiency with HPLC and FPLC equipment is strongly desired.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a high throughput environment.
Please apply online at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.html, click Search for Openings, and reference Job ID Number: 641012.
U.S. Citizenship Required. Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.