Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov.
We are searching for a Senior R&D S&E Systems Engineer for the Interdependency and Consequence Effects Group for the Albuquerque facility. Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Security Clearance.
The Interdependency and Consequence Effects Group is involved in a number of related activities. The group researches, develops, and applies cutting edge analysis methodologies to create science-based regulatory policy solutions. We develop frameworks in which proposed options can be compared and prioritized to achieve system resilience for national critical resources. These complex problems with national significance are addressed by using a multi-disciplinary approach. The group also researches and develops methods for modeling and analyzing complex, adaptive, interconnected systems of systems and applies those techniques to developing world-class understanding of US critical infrastructure systems. This expertise supports policy and response decision makers at the federal, regional, state, and local levels. Our capabilities include:
- Critical infrastructure systems expertise.
- Crisis action support and analytics.
- Dynamic analytics for policy and decision support.
The group has primary responsibility for execution of the National Infrastructure Simulation and Analysis Center (NISAC). This shared R&D program with Los Alamos National Lab was authorized in the 2001 Patriot Act to establish a unique capability to serve national decision makers.
NISAC researchers develop analytic expertise where none exists in the 18 privately owned critical infrastructure and key resource sectors. Critical infrastructures are (largely) privately owned and operated, thus data and understanding of their system level functions are not known within the government. NISAC researchers develop unique modeling and simulation techniques, coupled with analytic processes and knowledge of national infrastructures, to support DHS and White House decisions.
The staff within are also instrumental in Complex Adaptive Systems of Systems engineering, in which new theory in science and engineering for modeling, simulation, and analysis of complex problems is developed, applied, and tested.
The group includes staff with advanced degrees in modeling & analysis, systems engineering, mathematics, physics, geophysics, chemistry, economics, social science and operations research.
Applies integrated technical judgment--which requires using the scientific method to recognize and formulate problems, to collect data through observation and experimentation, and to formulate and test hypotheses--to anticipate, innovate, and deliver solutions to Sandia National Laboratories missions. Root the work in the fundamentals of science and engineering, while applying a deep understanding of engineering and scientific principles. Creates and applies scientific theories and laws and engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems. Use physical and computational simulation, analysis, and evaluation as inherent activities of development. Plans, conducts, and manages Sandia's scientific programs from fundamental research through development and demonstration.
Provides system-level design architecture and analysis that combines a number of component parts or sub-systems into a complete functional system. Uses a multidisciplinary engineering approach to model the interactions between all components. Defines component and system level performance requirements and develops acceptance criteria for the sub-systems and system. Evaluates competing characteristics between system elements to determine the most effective integrated system solution. Evaluates, tests, and analyzes system functionality and subsystem contribution to system function. Interfaces with the system customer and those responsible for development, testing, and implementation of the system and its elements.
Primary Job Duties
- Plans, conceives, conducts, or manages research and development for Sandia's customers and sponsors.
- Directs systematic study toward a fuller knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts, and discovers new approaches to achieve goals.
- Creates new understandings and capabilities by using the scientific method's hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods.
- Initiates, designs, develops, executes, and evaluates new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
- Uses engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions.
- Undertakes development and possible technology transfer of solutions, products, principles or technology.
- Undertakes creative work, making systematic use of investigation or experimentation, to discover or revise knowledge of reality, and uses this knowledge to devise new applications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Technical knowledge and competencies appropriate to the position.
- Thorough knowledge of and applied experience with scientific and engineering methods and with the discipline's standards for the ethical conduct of research.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with implementing Sandia policies affecting research, design, and development activities, projects, or initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to team across disciplines.
- Requires bachelor's degree in relevant discipline plus five or more years of experience; or master's degree in relevant discipline plus two or more years of experience; or doctorate in relevant discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Leadership skills and a strong technical background
- Demonstrated research experience including a good publication record.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment.
- Excellent teaming and customer relation skills.
- Strong interest and a record of achievement in one or more of the following technical areas: network modeling and analysis, complex adaptive systems analysis, system dynamics modeling, agent based modeling, data analysis capable of mining big data streams, risk assessment, uncertainty quantification (UQ).
Success in this position requires strong computer model development and analysis skills and experience in gathering and assimilating customer requirements. A successful candidate must have excellent verbal and writing skills especially as evidenced in past project roles and documentation written for past projects. The successful candidate needs to have the skills to work closely with customers and other department members to negotiate and continually update analysis requirements and ensure our products meet their needs. Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy Q Clearance.
- Advanced degree in systems engineering, physics (complexity science), mathematics, operations research, computer science, or a related field.
- Experience working on high-performing multi-disciplinary teams -- Experience in project management.
Please apply online at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.html, click Search for Openings, and reference Job ID Number: 641056.
U.S. Citizenship Normally Required. Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.