Founded in 1886, Yeshiva University (YU) has a strong tradition of combining Jewish scholarship with academic excellence and achievement in the liberal arts, sciences, medicine, law, business, social work, Jewish studies, education, psychology, and more.
We are a leading global educational institution that employs over 4,500 people across our various campus locations -- Wilf Campus, Beren Campus, Brookdale Center, Resnick Campus in the Bronx, the Gruss Institute in Jerusalem, the Boys High School in Manhattan and the Girls High School in Queens. From the distinguished faculty who teach here, to the dedicated staff, we work to fulfill our mission: to “bring wisdom to life” through all that we teach, by all that we do and for all those we serve. We seek to attract and retain engaged and committed individuals who contribute to an exciting working environment, where there is a sense of community and belonging, balanced with a significant cross section of people from diverse backgrounds working and studying together.
The University offers an excellent compensation package, and a broad range of employee benefit plans, including immediate participation and full vesting in the University’s retirement plan. Staff members are typically eligible for four weeks paid vacation each year.
The Laboratory Technican will work in the machine and electronic shop and build teaching and research devices under the guidance of faculty. Prepare labs for all introductory and advanced level classes, and assist in preparing lecture demonstrations for all levels of physics and astronomy courses. This position also includes the role of supporting the work in the Physics website including the implementation and maintenance of online information. Mantain inventory system for all physics and astronomy equipment. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and set-up all materials needed for each lab
- Coordinate lab modules with faculty and provide assistance to faculty in modifying and developing demonstrations and other equipment based activities
- Maintain order and cleanliness in labs by ensuring that labs, and equipment are in order after use
- Ensure that laboratory equipment is functional. Perform regular inspections of equipment and advise faculty on equipment that may need to be replaced or repaired Must ensure that equipment is tracked carefully through an online log and inventory.
- Be sure computers are working and available when needed and interface with CIS when necessary
- Maintain Physics webpages
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Associate degree in mechanical engineering technology or electrical engineering technology.
Professional experience in a laboratory setting preferred; Equivalent training experience will be considered.
Skills and Competencies
Strong interpersonal skills and be able to work well with colleagues and Faculty with minimal supervision.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Self-motivated and display initiative in accomplishing tasks, and be a good problem solver.
Willing to learn new tasks as needed to support the laboratory work of the department.