Sandia National Laboratories is searching for a Year-round Technical Undergraduate for the Student Intern Program in the Applied Photonic Microsystems Department for the Albuquerque, NM facility.
The Applied Photonic Microsystems Department develops and matures state of the art photonic technologies for a variety of national security purposes. Our team of interdisciplinary researchers innovates, develops, and applies novel technologies including silicon photonics, nanophotonics, optomechanics, metamaterials, plasmonics, optical detectors, guided wave optics, and biophotonics.
The selected candidate will perform entry-level work within a science and engineering environment involving assignments that may include assisting with research, application of project design and diagnostics, testing and documentation, development and analysis of technology options, and assembly and troubleshooting.
Job assignments vary upon organization, discipline preference, and specific job requirements as defined in the job specification. Duties may include: assisting technical staff with developmental research, analysis of technology and engineering options, project design, testing, formulating conclusions, data collection, and analyzing experimental data.
The successful candidate must meet the general Sandia Student Intern Requirements: Full-time student status (a minimum 12 credit hours), a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2, the ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer. US Citizenship is required.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly with curiosity and self-initiative
- Good communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Strong organization skill and hands-on abilities
- De sired Degree Field: Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optical Sciences, or science and engineering fields
- Desired Discipline: Photonics
- Programming experience
- Familiarity with Matlab and Labview programming
- Experience with data collection and fiber optic measurements
- Experience with MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
To learn more about this position and to apply online, please visit us at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.html, click Advanced Search and reference Job Opening ID Number: 641448.
Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.