Sandia National Laboratories is searching for a Postdoctoral Appointee for the Systems Biology Department for the Livermore, CA facility.
Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Security Clearance.
The Systems Biology Department, located in Livermore, California, performs biological and bioengineering research with applications in national security, healthcare, and alternative energy. The department contains a multidisciplinary team of approximately 20 staff, postdocs and technologists with expertise in microbiology, phycology, bioinformatics, computational biology, molecular biology, and analytical chemistry. The basic research activities in the department are focused on developing a systems-level understanding of cellular signaling pathways, host-pathogen interactions, and microbiomes relevant to human health and the environment. Applied research activities are focused on enzyme and microbial engineering for biofuels development, biological detection, and medical diagnostics. Key sponsors include the DOE Office of Science, the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the National Institutes of Health, and the Sandia LDRD Program.
Primary Job Duties
The Systems Biology Department of Sandia National Laboratories in Livermore, CA has a post-doctoral opening for an outstanding bioinformatics researcher in a program aiming at advancing bioenergy production. The project will involve bioinformatic analysis of metagenomic and other datasets in search of improved enzyme systems for biofuel development.
- This position requires a PhD in bioinformatics, biology or computer science, or a related scientific discipline.
Other required qualifications include:
- Strong publication record
- Experience in the bioinformatics algorithms, databases, and software tools that are commonly used in the curation, alignment, assembly, and annotation of sequencing data sets
- Familiarity with ultrahigh-throughput sequencing technology and the management and processing of large datasets
- Experience in software development, programming and statistical analysis (e.g., Perl, C/C++, Python, R)
- Ability to work with a diverse multidisciplinary team to solve complex problems
- Ability to track and incorporate innovative tools and methods in the public domain
- Excellent communication skills
- Desired qualifications include familiarity with one or more of the following: molecular biology, biochemistry, fungal and bacterial microbiology, bioenergy.
To learn more about this position and to apply online, please visit us at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.html, click Advanced Search and reference Job Opening ID Number: 641353.
U.S. Citizenship Normally Required. Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.