Senior Researcher (003843)
Office of Institutional Effectiveness
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Grade F
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is seeking a Senior Researcher for the Office of Institutional Effectiveness (IE) to work on mission critical research projects in the areas of academic success, online pedagogy, and evaluation. The Senior Researcher will be in the Evaluation and Assessment unit and is expected to help in conceptualizing and implementing a variety of research projects serving various units within UMUC. These projects will cover a range of issues in higher education and distance learning in relation to student retention, success, and learning; course design and instructional strategies; and the application of effective teaching and learning principles to onsite and online classrooms.
The incumbent is expected to:
• Conduct all aspects of quantitative and qualitative research in support of IE’s research agenda, including study design, instrument development, data collection, and analysis, and writing
• Oversee data gathering, data management, and data analysis activities related to a project
• Stay abreast of current academic literature, research, and evaluation studies which are relevant to our mission and practices
• Perform data analysis tackling data and surveys (related to students, faculty, courses, programs, teaching and learning practices) with a need to draw logical conclusions targeting policy
• Consult and collaborate with the academic units within UMUC to assist with special research projects
• Utilize research results to improve course offerings and services
• Other job-related duties as assigned
Required education and experience: Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Education, or a related discipline and a minimum of 2 (two) years of practical experience in institutional research or related areas. Preferred education and experience: Ph.D. or doctoral study in addition to an understanding of online and distance teaching and learning and of student and faculty issues in higher education. Additional preferred experience includes: strong research qualities to include survey research and analytical skills; technical/software skills related to data analysis; qualitative and quantitative analytical skills; ability to retrieve/review/synthesize literature; excellent communication and writing skills; and presentations at conferences and publication record.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY AND OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Please visit: http://www.umuc.edu/employ.shtml for complete instructions for applying for this position. All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMUC offers an excellent benefits package to include tuition remission, a minimum of 25 days of leave, as well as a range of insurance options. For detailed information, please visit:
EOE/M/F/D/V. Women and minority applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.