GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Department Administrator, or designee, the Grant and Contract Specialist I is responsible for performing diversified and complex administrative, financial, and pre and post-award budgetary functions in support of departmental activities, to include both responsibilities for both restricted and unrestricted departmental funds.
- Monitor post-award activities to insure adherence to sponsor guidelines and all reporting requirements are met. Inform Administrator on budget variances
- Assist with any changes to award budgets and submit necessary paperwork for approval of such actions.
- Set up and maintain computerized accounting system for the accurate management of funds
- Compile financial data for use in forecasting and analysis.
- Assist in the preparation of reports for presentation to federal and sponsoring agencies
- Prepare data for financial reports, budgets, budget and research fund reconciliations, forecasting, analysis, and ad-hoc reports for Administrators and PI”s as needed
- Review terms and conditions of new awards for issues involving allowable costs, re-budgeting and reporting requirements, confidentiality clauses, faculty time and effort monitoring, cost sharing, equipment justification, and ensure compatibility with sponsoring agencies’ regulations and university policies and procedures
- Monitor contracts, extensions, and amendments with outside vendors, private agencies, and consultants in conjunction with Purchasing and legal offices. Inform Administrator on variances
- Manage all phases of post-award grants and contracts administration, to include monitoring budgets, expenses, and recovered overhead. Advise Administrator of reporting requirements
- Assist faculty in finding possible funding opportunities
- Assist and participate with Grant Accounting in award termination process to close-out accounts. Notify Administrator of final status
- Monitor Departmental voluntary and mandatory cost sharing
- Provide research and administrative support for special projects; assist in the preparation of data for projects and studies such as updating procedure manuals or analyzing activities compiles statistics
- Process consultant agreements, travel vouchers, purchase orders, reallocation of expenditures, and other expenses
- Participate in the preparation and certification of the annual space and effort documentation
- Participate in the preparation of the Departmental annual operating budget submission
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting, or equivalent experience
- 1 year of relevant job experience, or equivalent, preferably in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret financial documents, such as system reports, at both account and summary levels
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and, PowerPoint), or similar software applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal and written) needed to present and communicate effectively with all levels of management.