Under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI) or designee, the Stem Cell Differentiation Research Associate III provides operational support to the laboratory. Join the UMass Chan Diabetes Center of Excellence (part of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s New England Center of Excellence) to engage in cutting edge science, using a stem cell-based approach, to develop a cure for type 1 diabetes. Science is an intersection of stem cell biology, diabetes and regenerative biology. This member will be part of a team of 2-5 research staff, responsible for the specialized production of human islet cells from stem cells. This position requires weekend work and the work schedule to be frequently changing.
– Perform complex laboratory experiments and may be responsible for one or more independent research projects
– Responsible for daily cultures of human pluripotent stem cells including maintenance, expansion, and differentiation to various lineages.
– Regularly review and update SOPs, for supervisor comment and approval
– Perform quantitative and qualitative assessments of islet differentiation including immunohistochemistry, gene expression by qPCR or 10x scRNA-Seq, flow cytometry and physiological tests for beta cell function such as glucose stimulated insulin secretion (GSIS), ELISAs and HTRF assays
– Help develop protocols for differentiation of genetically modified stem cells to various lineages.
– Able to work independently in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, and strong communication skills are required.
– Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on next steps with a significant degree of independence while under the direction of the PI or designee
– Accurately follow standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
– Prepare differentiation facility review materials for grant reports and manuscripts. Review literature
– Train and oversee more junior Stem Cell Differentiation Specialist colleagues
– Utilize all software relevant to experiment and equipment used
– Maintain accurate records, may modify protocols with the approval of the PI or designee
– Review literature, publications and grants relevant to assigned projects
– Record results according to established lab, sponsor & university protocol
– Perform in-depth data analysis and/or mathematical computations
– Maintain a detailed lab notebook according to lab practice
– Compile and analyze data, and present in a format suitable for publication according to PI specifications
– Present findings at lab/group meetings and other forums
– Oversee laboratory supply levels and order as noted; negotiate with suppliers to optimize available resources
– Monitor and maintain laboratory equipment service contracts and monitor maintenance on laboratory equipment
– Prepare and label buffers, media, solutions, etc.
– Assist with and comply with all safety regulation and infection control standards
– Train in IRB and EHS protocols; may write standard operation procedures in compliance to protocols and specific regulations for the lab
– Comply with all applicable state, federal university, and sponsor policies and agreements
– May manage general operations of the laboratory, including lab personnel, procedures, and projects
– Identify problems and challenges, propose resolutions, implement appropriate solutions
– May create new protocols and/or modify defined protocols, as necessary, and with the approval of the PI
– Prioritize and perform several tasks or procedures simultaneously with attention to detail
– Perform duties and experiments with independence
– May monitor laboratory spending in accordance with budgets guidelines provided by PI or designee
– May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract funding
– May assist with drafting manuscripts sections
– Perform other duties as required.
– Bachelors’ degree in the Biological or Natural Sciences or equivalent and 3 years of relevant research experience, or Masters’ degree with 1 year of relevant research experience
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
– Ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
– Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
– Flow cytometry experience
– Previous experience with cell cultures and sterile laboratory technique.
Apply Here: www.click2apply.net/5Zw8YofYWmW5PSbw2i1x5j