Under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI) or designee, the Stem Cell Differentiation Research Associate IV provides operational support to the laboratory. Join the UMass Chan Diabetes Center of Excellence (part of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s New England Center of Excellence) to engage in cutting edge science, using a stem cell-based approach, to develop a cure for type 1 diabetes. The science is at the intersection of stem cell biology, diabetes, and regenerative biology. This member will be part of a team of 2-5 research staff, responsible for the specialized production of human islet cells from stem cells. This position requires weekend work and the work schedule to be frequently changing.
– Responsible for daily cultures of human pluripotent stem cells including maintenance, expansion, and differentiation to various lineages.
– Manage Stem Cell Differentiation Research Associates team: scheduling, training, projects, and quality metrics
– Maintain current and ever improving SOPs
– In addition to functions fulfilled by Research Associate Levels I, II, and III, help with the generation of genetically modified stem cell lines.
– Able to work independently in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, and strong communication skills are required.
– Perform quantitative and qualitative assessments of islet differentiation using assays that include flow cytometry and physiological tests for beta cell function such as glucose stimulated insulin secretion (GSIS), ELISAs and HTRF assays.
– Accurately follow standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
– Review, edit, and/or prepare final differentiation facility review materials for grant reports and manuscripts. Review literature
– Assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals.
– Comply with all safety and infection control standards
– Ensure equipment and supplies are maintained for uninterrupted facility function, e.g., manage laboratory equipment service contracts and coordinate maintenance on laboratory equipment.
– Independently design and perform multiple complex laboratory experiments
– Identify and utilize all software relevant to experiment and equipment used
– Maintain accurate records, and record results according to established lab, sponsor, and University protocol
– Review literature, publications and grants relevant to assigned projects
– Record results according to established lab, sponsor & university protocol
– Interpret data, perform in-depth data analysis and/or mathematical computations, form conclusions, and decide on next steps with a high degree of independence
– Compile and analyze data, and present in a format suitable for publication according to PI specifications
– Present findings at lab/group meetings and other forums
– Monitor and enforce all safety regulation and infection control standards
– Identify and write standard operation procedures in compliance to EHS regulation specific for the lab
– Train on IACUC, EHS protocols
– Comply with all applicable state, federal university, and sponsor policies and agreements
– Identify problems and challenges, propose resolutions, implement appropriate solutions
– Develop and implement new protocols and/or modify defined protocols, as necessary, and with the approval of the PI
– Prioritize and perform several tasks or procedures simultaneously with attention to detail
– Perform duties and experiments with independence
– Mentor and train lab personnel on proper lab conduct and techniques
– Manage laboratory spending in accordance with budget guidelines provided by PI or designee
– Assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
– Negotiate with vendors to optimize available resources
– Contribute independently to writing sections for manuscripts and grants
– Perform other duties as required.
– Bachelors’ degree in the Biological or Natural Sciences or equivalent and 5+ years of relevant research – experience, or Masters’ degree with 3+ years of relevant research experience
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
– Ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
– Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
– Flow cytometry experience
– Previous experience with cell cultures and sterile laboratory technique.
Apply Here: www.click2apply.net/DKxr1VTgzjzQacJoqiox1R