Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or Designee, the Research Associate performs a variety of complex research experiments.
• Conducts in-depth analysis of research experiments
• Performs complex laboratory experiments
• Interprets data, forms conclusion, and decides on and plans next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
• Compiles and analyzes data and performs computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
• May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
• Assists in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Reviews literature
• Trains new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
• Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment
• Complies with all safety and infection control standards
• Perform other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
• Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
• Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
• Knowledge of Immunology
• Experience with or willingness to learn immunologic methods such as ELISA, Luminex, flow cytometry, CyTOF, immunohistochemistry staining
• Interest in Infectious disease research (i.e., malaria, EBV)
• Experience with molecular methods such as qPCR, ddPCR, RNAsequencing
• Willingness to travel to Kenya to transfer research methods to collaborating lab
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise Lab Technicians and Aides
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.