GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
A Research Data Specialist Level position as a Bioinformatics Scientist is open in the Department of Neurology at UMass Medical School. The candidate will be expected to participate in efforts towards the discovery of novel genetic factors contributing to ALS and Parkinson’s disease. The position will be based in the laboratory of John Landers, Ph.D., Professor of Neurology. Examples of such projects to be lead by the candidate can be found in (Nat. Genet. (2016) 48:1037) and (Neuron (2014) 84:324).
The specific duties of the position are as follows:
1) To maintain and troubleshoot established pipelines for analyzing large-scale next-generation sequencing (NGS) data including whole genome and exome sequence data.
2) To work together with one or more team members, including Postdoctoral / Instructor level personnel and other Research Associates, towards the annotation of SNPs and structural variants and incorporation of results into a database.
3) To work together with team members to maintain a web-based searchable SNP database.
4) Work directly with PI, Postdoctoral / Instructor level personnel and other Research Associates towards the overall goals of the projects.
5) Performs all other duties/responsibilities as directed.
Under the direction of the Principle Investigator or designee, the Research Data Specialist collaborates in the implementation of the data management procedures and organizational activities. This position coordinates the information retrieved from databases and performs in-depth analyses in order to track programs and projects within the group.