Chiquita Brands International, a leading international marketer and distributor of fresh and processed food products is currently seeking a Sr Laboratory Technician for their R&D group. The Laboratory Technician will be responsible to support testing and related activities for the development of new products in the area of Nutritional Labels.
– Assist in the execution of complex physical, chemical, biochemical and sensory tests for the evaluation of fruits and vegetables.
– Use expertise to sequence daily tasks so that project deadlines are met.
– Prepare, store and dispose samples for laboratory analysis.
– Closely monitor test execution and report results in a timely manner.
– Enter, store, and/or maintain data and information in written and electronic form.
– Keep inventories of supplies and stocks on hand for laboratory use.
– Clean lab areas and/or equipment.
– Perform related work as assigned by senior scientists.
Required Education: BS degree in Food Science, Food Technology, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Horticulture, Agronomy, or related field.
Required Experience: Minimum of 3 years of laboratory experience, preferably within the food or produce industry, in a post harvest quality or microbiological laboratory.
Required Skills: – Candidate must be proficient in biology, chemistry, and math. – Must be logical and focused in work approach. – Demonstrated ability to work well with precision laboratory instruments, food materials, and chemical substances. – Must be detail oriented and able to monitor production processing and food processing equipment operation. – Must have good problem-solving and organizational skills. – Must have high standards of cleanliness and be prepared to keep strict hygiene rules. – Have good verbal and written communication skills to explain results to others. – Candidate must be team oriented with strong interpersonal skills. – Able to handle multiple projects in a fast paced, multi-disciplinary environment. – Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel). – Capable of physical exertion such as recurring bending and lifting of moderately heavy items; able to lift up to 50 pounds. – Capable of working in refrigerated environments. – Ability to work flexible hours when necessary Knowledge of food microbiology is a plus